Love fish? Perhaps you can try this Chinese steamed fish recipe. Really simple and easy to make, fresh, tasty and healthy too.
I have got a number of Chinese fish recipes posted on this site, my father’s Chinese red cooked carp, my adapted version of Sichuan style fish fillet, then there are Chinese style oven cooked fish and Chinese microwave oven fish. If you are interested in Chinese style fish recipes, click the links to check them out.
Here I tidy up another Chinese steamed fish recipe for you. This is not my cooking though. It was made by one of my Chinese friends, who cooked this dish when we had a Chinese New Year food party this year. But this is a very common way of cooking streamed fish we used in China too.
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 10 mins
- one whole fish
- oil, salt, sugar
- light soy sauce
- Fish sauce (optional)
- Sesame oil (optional)
- spring onion
Method for Chinese Steamed Fish
- Cut to open the fish, take the inner stuff out, rinse and drain. If needed, cut the fish into smaller size to suit your steamer (as shown here in this recipe).
- On both side of fish, cut the surface across the width to make the flavour easily get into the flesh.
- If you have a big size fish and want to make sure all meat get the taste, you may put some salt on the surface, inside and outside, to marinate the fish for 5 to 10 minutes before steaming. For small or medium size fish, it may not be necessary as it will easily get flavour from the sauce anyway.
- Place the fish in a steamer and steam for about 10 minutes.
- While the fish is in steamer, start to prepare the sauce. Cut the ginger in thin threads. We prefer to cut gingers or leek into thin threads, one reason is that it will make the dish look nicer; second, the flavour of ingredients will be much easier to get into the dishes.
- Also cut the spring onions. Set aside.
- When the fish is nearly cooked, heat the wok to high heat, add oil, then ginger, light soy sauce, sesame oil and fish sauce. Mix all ingredients well for one or two minutes.
- Once the fish is cooked, place it in a fish dish. Pour the sizzling hot oil mixture on top of the fish.
- Garnish the fish with spring onions and serve immediately.
That’s it, very easy to make, but really fresh and tasty, and healthy too! Hope you like it and give a try!
Hope you like this Chinese steamed fish recipe, and don’t forget to share it with friends on Facebook :)
Like It? Share It!