A simple Chinese fish recipe I used to cook my Chinese style cod. Instead of pan frying, I use oven to cook the fish for about less than 10 minutes. Then I make the Chinese style sauce to add on top of the cooked fish. It is very simple but tasty and healthy too.
The ingredients are similar to those used in the Chinese red cooked fish recipe. It is very easy to make. For example, you may check this recipe to see how my father cooks Ji Yu (Carp) in China.
I have already changed his recipe to cook the cod as a Chinese style pan fried fish here in the UK. It is mainly because the fish fillet available from the UK supermarket, such as cod or salmon, cannot be cooked long, so I have to change the recipe so that the fish can still have the Chinese taste. In this recipe, mainly I used the oven not the frying pan.
Method for Chinese Style Cod (Oven Cooked)
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 10 mins
- 2 cod fillets
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese chilli bean paste
- Chinese dried black beans
- sliced leek and gingers
- chopped spring onions
- Cut cod fillet into small chunks. I prefer this
as the fish will get more flavour inside.
- Slice leek into thin threads, chop ginger and
green chilli pepper.
- To keep the moisture, use tin foil to wrap the cod fillets. Place the wrapped fish on
the baking tray.
- Preheat the (fan) oven to 180c. Cook the fish for about 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the sauce for Chinese style cod. Heat
the frying pan until hot, add the oil.
- Wait till oil becomes hot, add chilli bean paste, ginger,
leek and Chinese black beans to fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, or till fragrant.
- Add water or stock, soy sauce, salt and sugar, adjust the taset. Use
medium heat till it is boiled. It may takes about 2-3 minutes.
- Using this way to cook the
ingredients can make the sauce to have more flavour than simple mix them in a bowl without cooking. If you prefer the sauce to be
thicken, you may add some corn flour. But in our family cooking, we normally prefer the sauce to be
clear, kind of like liquid, not sticky as covered by corn starch (most Chinese takeaways in the west do this, but not in our home cooking).
- Once the fish fillets are cooked, take them out from the
oven. Place the fish in the plate and pour the sauce on top of the fish.
spring onions on the top. Serve at once.
Instead of pouring sauce on top of fish, you may mix the fish and sauce in frying
pan. As with the heat, the fish will get more flavour from the sauce. But make
sure just to mix the fish with sauce, not cook it again. Otherwise, the meat will
Hope you like this Chinese style cod recipe. If so, please like it on Facebook or share with friends. Thanks:)
(Posted: 21/06/13; Update: 30/12/16)
You may also like Chinese Red Cooked Carp and Chinese Style Cod.
Like It? Share It!