This red cooked Ji Yu (carp) dish is based on a traditional Chinese meat recipe. Here I jot down the recipe based on my father's cooking in China. Scroll down to watch the cooking video.
"Ji Yu", carp, is one type of fresh water fish. Comparing to the fish I see in the UK such as salmon or cod, the size of Ji Yu in Hunan is relatively smaller but the texture of meat is very delicate.
Another difference is that when cooking fish we hardly remove the fish bone, so you do need to be very careful when you eat the whole fish. I am not sure whether it is because the fish is too small to remove the bone, or we just don't bother to do it. But no matter what the taste of this dish is absolutely delicious.
Prep: 15 mins Cook Time: 20 mins
• Cut fish and remove the stuff inside, except the fish’s air bladder or fish eggs, because we will cook them. (Yes, Chinese do eat the strange stuff;)
• Spread the salt on the surface and inside of fish. Marinate for about 10 minutes.
• Slice leek into 1cm long threads. Cut ginger and green chilli into small pieces.
• Heat the wok or frying pan till very hot, add oil. Wait oil to high heat, add fish to fry. Move the fish in case it might stick to the wok.
• Fry one side till golden brown, turn the fish over to fry another side till golden.
• Add all ingredients: chilli bean paste, light soy sauce, sauce wine, seasoned sauce for seafood, ginger, green chilli and big spring onions. Cook for several minutes.
• Add chicken stock or water, cover the lid, cook for about 5 minutes, turn the fish around and cook another side for about 5 minutes.
• Once cooked, place the fish on platter and serve at once.
• Just a reminder, this dish is made by using Chinese wok using the gas cooker. So if you are using the electric cooker, the cooking time might need to be adjusted accordingly.
You can watch the cooking video here, and subscribe to my Youtube Channel to get the regular update.
Like this recipe and want to share with a friend in a special way. You may check the recipe card we made, which is available from our store on Zazzle.
I have made another fish recipe based on this dish, which suits better to cook the fish I got in the UK. You may check the modified Chinese fish recipe here for Sichuan Style Cod Fillet, or to check my other Chinese Meat Recipe.
(Posted: 20/08/12; Update: 04/02/17)
You may also like: