This Chinese pan fried fish recipe is adapted from my father's Chinese home cooking for Red Cooked Ji Yu (Carp).
Although I saw how my father cooked the carp in China, I find it difficult to follow his Chinese cooking when I get back to
Because fish fillet I can buy from the UK supermarket, such as cod or
salmon, the meat is so soft (tender) so you don't need to cook long time.
Apart from that, the fish fillets are normally boneless, it is not easy to cook like the whole carp (with bone) because you need to be careful to turn over the fish fillets.
Because the fish bone has been removed, we cannot turn or press the meat too much, otherwise it turns to small pieces. I also made another version by using oven, you can check it here: Chinese Style Cod Oven Cooked.
I made some changes in my father's cooking so now this Chinese pan fried fish recipe works for the fish I bought here in UK. I can still keep the fish with taste of our home cooking.
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 10 mins
- 2 cod fillets
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese chilli bean paste
- 1 green chilli pepper
- black beans
Method for Chinese Pan Fried Fish
- Cut the fish fillet into small chunks.
- Use a bowl to mix the ingredients, soy sauce, salt and sugar.
- Slice the leek into thin threads, chop ginger and
green chilli pepper.
- Heat the frying pan until hot, add the oil.
- Wait oil is hot, then add chilli bean paste,
chopped ginger, leek, chilli and black beans to fry.
- Add the fish and fry one side till it is golden
brown, turn the fish to fry another
side for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mixed sauce on top of the fish. Cook for
few more minutes.
- Place the fish on plate and serve at once.
- For Chinese cooking, you may add salt and sugar
separately when you fry the fish. But I find it is better to mix them in
advance then add to the fish. Because the fish is only cooked for short
time, you almost don't need to add any extra stock. Dissolving them in advance can
help the taste to be evenly absorbed by the meat.
Ok, that's it for this Chinese pan fried fish. Not difficult, right? If you are interested, you may check this Chinese Red Cooked Carp recipe, or watch how my father cooks from my Youtube Channel.
(Posted: 03/09/12; Update: 22/02/16)
Back To Top
Like It? Share It!