Here is a fish recipe from my mum's Chinese Sichuan dipping fish (Xun Yu), where her homemade dipping sauce makes the fish fillets taste special.
In Chinese my mum calls this dish Xun Yu (熏鱼), if directly translated from Chinese to English, it means "Smoked fish" (guess maybe because of its colour). But in fact, it is the fried fish fillets severed with special Sichuan dipping sauce.
In the UK, the place I currently live, one famous food is called fish and chip. It is the deep fried battered fish usually popular as fast food. Apart from that, fish cake (fish mixed with smashed potato) is also commonly seen here.
However, for me this type of fish is bit plain tasted except some taste from the batter (flour). I guess maybe because in the West it is highly recommend low sugar, salt and fat in food? I haven’t seen any fish fillet served with dipping sauce. So here you are, my friend, maybe this Chinese Sichuan Dipping Fish recipe will be interesting to you.
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 20 mins
- fish fillets
- oil, salt, sugar
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
Method for Chinese Sichuan Dipping Fish
- If you have fish fillets already, you don’t need this step.
Otherwise, if interested, you may check this page see how my mum make fish fillets at home, which also has a video to show it as well (for Chinese Pin Nut Fish).
- Use salt and ginger marinate the fish fillets for about 10 mins.
- Heat up wok, add oil. then add chopped ginger for a quick fry to release the flavour. If you don't like frying, you may just mix all the ingredients in a bowl, but the flavour of ginger won’t be the same.
- Add soy sauce to mix. Depending on the type of soy sauce, if it is dark soy sauce, only add few drops should be fine, otherwise, it might be too dark colour.
- Also add salt and suagr, mix all ingredients well, adjust the taste according to you own preference. Add some stoke or water to make the dipping sauce. Once the dipping sauce is made, pour it into a bowl, set aside.
- If you prefer the dipping sauce to be bit thicker, you may use some corn starch flour, but the way of serving won't be the same as this recipe then.
- Clean the wok and reheat again. Add oil, wait till high heat. Add fish fillets to fry till fully cooked.
- Once finish, take the fish out and dip in the already made dipping sauce when the meat is hot.
You can see the colour change to dark brown. Place in a plate and serve when it is hot.
Hope you like this Chinese Sichan Dipping fish recipe, and share with friends too :)
Like It? Share It!