Like Chinese noodle soup? This meatball soup with egg and tomatoes is easy to make, which is a brilliant alternative for a generous main course. Scroll down to watch the cooking video.
Is Chinese noodle soup well-known in western countries? I guess so, after I saw the noodles in the movie KongFu Panda.
The noodle soup is the very common daily food in China. Depending on how much effort you want to put into it, the noodle soup can be simply served as snack or a generous main course.
Back to my home in China, my parents normally make a simple noodle soup when they don't want to make other cooked dishes. But it can still taste good, such as they often make this noodle soup with egg and veggies.
• Good for people who want to control calorie intake. Noodle plus soup can be very filling, so you probably won’t feel hungry for 3 or 4 hours. Less feeling hungry, less chance of snacking.
• Easy to make. Chinese noodle soup is perfect for days when you don't have time to cook from scratch but still want a fresh and tasty meal.
All you need is to prepare the soup base then add the cooked noodles. For example, if you have a nice meat dish from last night dinner. You can make the soup base by reheat the meat and add some stock or water.
• Healthy options. Chinese noodle soup has different healthy options. Fro example, you can add noodles to your veggie soup, or add the leafy veggies like lettuce or spinach at the end of cooking.
I like how my favorite TV chef Rick Stern describes the Chinese noodle soup in his book :)
In this recipe, I am making a fresh Chinese meatball noodle soup. I usually make this as my weekend brunch. For the soup, I use the egg fried tomatoes plus the meatballs. If you don’t like the fried egg, you can just add fresh tomatoes and beaten eggs to make the soup.
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 25 mins Serve: 2
For egg fried tomatoes
To make egg tomato soup base:
• Add oil to fry egg first (3-5 mins). I prefer the eggs to be golden brown as this will release a nice smell from eggs.
• Add the chopped tomatoes, cook till the tomatoes are softened. Then add stock or water.
• The soup may take about 5 minutes depending on the heat. While cooking the soup, You can use the time to prepare the meatballs.
To make meatball:
• Place the meat mince in a bowl, add salt, light soy sauce, chopped ginger, corn flour and water into the meat.
• Mix all the ingredients and make meatballs. This takes about 5 minutes and now the egg tomato soup is also cooked.
• Add meatballs to the egg tomato soup to cook for about 5-10 minutes (depends on the heat)
• Once the meatballs are cooked, add the cooked noodles into the soup. Stir and wait for 2-3 minutes to let the noodle take the flavour from soup.
• Transfer the cooked noodle soup to a bowl. Before finishing, add chopped spring onions. Done. Serve hot.
• The key ingredient for the meatball is the ginger. Finely chopping is recommended. If you don't have it, you lose the key flavour of this meatball soup.
• Use corn flour helps to make the meatball tender.
You can watch the cooking video here. To get regular update for our Chinese home cooking, China daily food and travel in China, please subscribe to my Youtube Channel.
(posted: 27/01/13; update: 07/04/17)
You may also like: